Sunday, September 30, 2012

Herding Chickens

We took our first field trip on Friday.  Our first stop was at the Black Hawk Children's Theatre for the play Hanzel and Grettle.  We then ate lunch outside on their back patio and began our tour of the Phelp's Youth Pavilion.  The play was awesome and our 1st and 2nd graders loved it!!1 During the play, the Hanzel and Grettle actors ran through the crowd chasing each other.  This was definitely the crowd favorite.  The day was absolutely beautiful and we got to enjoy our sack lunches outside by the river.  Luckily, the wall was high enough that they were barely able to look over and see the river.  I would have been very nervous if it wasn't as I still feared one of my kids was going to jump into the river.  They were amazed by the good ole Cedar River!

The tour of the Phelp's Youth Pavilion was one to remember!  I am generally very patient in my classroom and can tolerate quite a bit of organized chaos.  I don't mind if my room is a little bit loud if they are still learning.  There were times during this tour that I wanted to pull my hair out!  That aside, my kids had a blast!  If you haven't been to there, it's a must!  Take your kids, nieces and nephews, babysitting kids, or who ever because they will certainly love it.  Even better, it's for a great price!  The 2nd graders went to the Grout Museum so we were left with 8 adults and 51 first graders.  We split into two groups and spent a half an hour in each studio.  

My group's first studio was with the Grant Wood art.  I think this may have been a class favorite.  They were able to milk a cow, drive a tractor, take a time machine back in time, crawl in a cave and write on the walls, plant crops, dig up treasure, stack hay bales, ride in a bus, go fishing, and the list goes on.  With all of this, it is mad chaos.  It was a free for all and certainly out of my comfort zone.  My kids were having a blast though.  It was just loud with lots of children running EVERYWHERE!  I was just hoping one of my kids didn't destroy something or get lost.  This is where the title of this blog comes from.  Herding chickens!  This is how I would summarize my day.  I felt as if I was constantly herding a stray chicken, a student who was somewhere they weren't supposed to be or making some bad decisions.  I felt as if I was always counting to make sure all of my kiddos were there.  If short, I was quickly searching for my lost chicken and herding them all back together.  

Our second stop was in the miniature golf studio.  Each hole represented an artist's work.  I'm not sure any of the kids really made these connections but they certainly had fun.  It tested their ability to take turns and hold all of their excitement to just get their ball in the hole but all in all they did great.  The actual golfing part was very challenging for them as most of them have never played or held a golf club.

The third studio had art from around the word.  They could dress up and act on stage, build a house with magnetic panels and build with blocks.  At this point I was just sitting back and observing and had given up all hope of trying to keep some order!  The tour guide didn't seem to mind the unruliness so I just conformed.  The last part of this studio was the bunny hole.  This is a series of platforms and holes that takes you from the second floor to the first.  My kids wanted me to go down as well so of course I did.  Let's just say that the bunny hole is made for children, not adults.

The bus ride home was much more quiet than the ride there.  I captured several ADORABLE pictures on the way home of the munchkins sleeping on each other.  We got back with a few minutes to spare so we went outside to finish up our day.  All in all, it was a great day!  The kids had a blast and got to experience some great things.  Their teacher may have been slightly exhausted but it was well worth it. I will get some pictures up here of the all of the fun things we did in the next couple of days!

For the first time since commuting back and forth to Sumner, I had to call Gavin to stay awake on my drive home.  I couldn't have been more excited to hear him say he wanted me to rent and movie and bring home supper.  Even better, we were in bed by 9:00.  On a Friday!  And I LOVED it!

Hope you all had a great weekend!  Make tomorrow great!  

"Don't count the days but instead make the days count!"

~Toodles!

No comments:

Post a Comment