Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Back to the Grind

As for my long weekend, I spent it with my family shingling my grandparent's house and my parent's house.  Not a ton of fun but got to spend time with my brother, who came home from Ames for the first time, and the rest of my family.  Gavin and Mike were feeling the sunburn by yesterday.  Now back to school.

Holiday weekends are great!  Except for the day that you have to go back to your regular schedule.  That regular day would be today and I think spending three days away from school allowed all of my students to forget our schedule and routine things that we do.  Some are extremely tired but most of all, the temperature in our room makes things that much worse.  While I thought Friday was bad, today may be just as bad if not worse....and we didn't get out early!

Our need for some down time and away from others gave us a great opportunity to practice two of our Daily 5 choices: Read to Self and Read to Someone.  While a lot of the 1st graders LOVE to read with someone else and share their favorite book, I have some that strongly dislike someone else hearing them read.  That is the beauty of the Daily 5.

During our Read Aloud time right before lunch last week, I had a student ask if I would read a Magic Tree House book to them.  These chapter books are too hard for most of the 1st graders at this point but man did they love the first book when I read it to them.  We finished it before lunch and my whole class asked if we could read the next one to follow Jack and Annie's next adventure!

I'm heading out of school as soon as possible because I think my clothes are officially soaked through with sweat!  Gross, I know!

Toodles!


No comments:

Post a Comment