Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Wild Wednesday

I am going to attempt to make every Wednesday a list of things that I have known but teaching has certainly solidified.  So here goes my first Wednesday.  This may be long considering it has been an eye opening first 3 weeks.

**I hate being late.  I leave my house by 6:30 every morning to be to school by 7:05.  I don't have students until 8:25.

**I am an organized person.  I hate feeling unorganized.  When I am, I get easily frustrated.

**I am a neat freak but I am not a clean freak.  My things are almost always picked up....that does not mean things are clean.  My house has lots of dog hair.  My classroom has lots of dirt and dust.

**I need a early morning workout.  It gets my day started and gives me a chance to clear my head.  With me leaving for school so early, this hasn't happened as much as I would like it to.  I try and get up at 4:30 to head to town to run.  If I don't get it done before school it isn't likely to happen.  If I don't get a workout in at all, I am normally grumpy.

**I love my dogs!  After a long day at school, I am always excited to come home and see them.  Right now, I have 7 dogs at home.  While I love having 4 puppies around, I am excited for them to go to their new homes in two weeks.  I will be sad to see them leave.  I have promised my students that if they work hard for me all week I will bring them to share next week.

**I have the sleep schedule of a 7 year old.  I like being in bed before nine and I am ready to get up by 5.  I always set my alarm 20 minutes early though and push my snooze several times before getting up.  I enjoy getting to lay in bed.

**I am a list maker.  Making a list is the first thing I do when I get to school and normally the first thing I do what I come home from school.

**I am a planner but I am flexible.  I always have a plan for my day and try and get those things done.  If they don't, I have no problem pushing them to tomorrow.

** With that, I type up daily lesson plans.  I feel more prepared this way.  They are typed, printed, and on my clip board each and every day before I leave my classroom.

**I am EXTREMELY competitive.  I hate getting beat.  I hate getting second. I hate getting beat by boys.  And most of all, I hate getting beat by my brother.  If you beat me, you can guarantee I will work my butt off to not let it happen again.  I wish some of my students had a little more competitiveness in them.

**I try to be healthy but when it comes to ice cream.  I have NO control. None. Ditto. Zilch.

**Brain food is necessary.  My students think so as well and they ask for it every day.  7:30 to 11:45, when we eat lunch, is a long time for them and me.  Around 9:30 each day, I make them promise me to work hard for the next 2 hours.  If they do, which they always do, they get brain food, partially because I am in need of some.  Brain food consists of a variety of things.  It can be 2 Skittles, a Ritz cracker, animals crackers, or Cheerios.

**I am stubborn.  I have stubborn students.  If it is something I feel is important for my students to do, I will be the most stubborn.

**My biggest pet peeve so far is students not using their manners.  Each student in my class WILL use their manners in a few short months.  Most are very good at this.  Some forget.  And some just are not in the habit of using them.  I have some students that would rather throw a temper tantrum than ask me please before I let them do something or give them something.  I also follow them through the lunch line and make sure they say please and thank you to the cooks.  Call me mean....I think this is necessary.

**I am a perfectionist.  I like things done correctly and neatly.  Some of my students don't know what the word neat means.

**I am easily annoyed.  More so with adults as I feel they should know better.  I get really annoyed though when my kids don't follow directions.

** My name is Ms. Rottink.  Not teacher.  Not Ms. Rottkin.  If you can't figure it out, I'm going to ask you to ask a friend.

**I am a farm girl.  I love small towns and I love the fact that I teach in a small town.

**I am sarcastic with my students.

**Patients is not something that most 6 year old possess.  They can really try but if they get excited or I haven't gotten to them yet, they will most likely get out of their seat and come find me.  I typically send them right back to their desk.

**I don't deal well with liars.

**You help me, I will help you.

**It is hard for me to watch my students make mistakes but I know that it is important to let them once in a while.

**It is okay to not know.  It is NOT okay to not try.  I don't normally except the answer, I forgot.  You raised your hand, you're going to have to try.

**Things may be hard.  Things in life are hard.  If I don't let you see this, I am failing you.

Thats all I have for now.  I am sure I will have more next week.

Have a great night!!

Toodles!


No comments:

Post a Comment