Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Which Hats Do I Wear Today?

Being a teacher doesn't mean that I am going to get to go to school to teach and only teach.  There is a whole other list of jobs that I must take on during the day for my kids to be happy, safe, and successful.

**Mom or Grandma--They call me this by mistake but more often than not, they need motherly reassurance, a caring hug, and someone that they know truly cares about them.

**Nurse--Scrapes, cuts, bruise, bloody noses, vomit, accidents, tummy aches, and the list goes on.  You name it--a teacher deals with it.  My desk drawers a loaded with band-aids, although my kids are often mad at me because I don't give them out very easily.  I often encourage them to be tough.  My first year of teaching has led me to deal with flu ridden kiddos, be vomited on, clean up vomit, and have a vomit smelling classroom.

**Actress--If I think some thing is a big deal, I most certainly have 17 kids that think something is a big deal.  If I am excited about something, they are most likely excited about something.  If I act like I am excited about something, they are excited about something.  I can be pretty dramatic as well when I read, my kiddos get a kick out of it---lightens the mood a bit!

**Lawyer--Documentation, documentation, documentation!  I've never wrote down the silliest things before in my life, but I have learned that it is very important just to cover my own behind.  

**Hairstylist

**Secret Keeper

**Professional Shoe Tier--Huge pet peeve!!  In the middle of the year, I began telling them to all find a friend if they didn't know how because I was spending so much time doing it for them.  Instead, they just walked on their laces.  I now am a double knotting queen and they often can't get them untied but I figured parents would probably appreciate their child's laces not being destroyed.

**Police Officer--Rules, Rules, Shmules!

**Snack Provider

**Pants buttoner, zipperer, and tightener (Those elastic tighteners in kids' jeans are life savers!)

**Problem Solver/Mediator

**Oh!  Did I mention that I like to teach as well!!



All in all, teaching wouldn't be teaching if I didn't get the oppurtunity to do all of these different things throughout the day.  Working with kids is what led me to the teaching in the first place and I couldn't be more excited that I am doing what I love!

No comments:

Post a Comment