Friday, May 10, 2013

Weekly Wrap-Up!!


It has been a crazy busy week to say the least!  I have been busy with the duck eggs (which still haven't hatched by the way---still duckless), gymnastics practice, special things going on at school, Teachers Pay Teachers sale, and Books for Charley.  So instead of getting a summary of an individual activity, you're getting a weekly wrap-up!  

We dove in head of heals to the Daily 5 a few months back and I am so super proud of my kiddos for how well they work independently so that I can work in small groups.  The five different things they can do are Read to Self, Read to Someone, Work on Writing, Listen to Reading, and Word Work.  Now, they are supposed to have a choice as to where they go and what they do but I found out early on that they weren't the greatest at this so I made a rotation chart and normally have something for them to do at each spot.  It helps me get more accomplished and keeps them busy for the whole round.

                                           
These three boys are Listening to Reading!  I wrote a grant for the MP3 players and they have worked wonderfully!  The kids LOVE LOVE LOVE them!

                                         
More Listening to Reading--Gilbert the Hero!

                                         
Working on Writing!  My-oh-my have we made huge improvements in our writing!  This week we wrote about what we learned at the dairy farm, what they want to be when they grow up, what they think I should change for next year, what they are going to do this summer, and I always give them a day to write about what ever they want.

                                    
Read to Someone!  Since our reading book can be somewhat of a challenge for some, I use this spot for my kiddos to read the stories together and then read practice our reading strategies!  They must sit EEKK (elbow, elbow, knee, knee) and both read!

                         
Here are to of my little one doing some Word Work.  We were working on commas and pronouns this week so they were building sentences and using commas correctly!

After creating the sentences on the pocket chart, they had to record them.

A little Read to Self action!

                                      
Ah, yes!  We have an ant farm!  While slightly disgusting, the kids love it and it is actually pretty interesting.  One of my kids brought this in and we're going to keep it until they all die.  I don't know all of the details.  I just know that they are fire ants and that there is a large pile of dead one accumulating in the top left corner.  If you are interested, it was bought at Wal Mart. :-)

                                        
Tear!  Here is a picture of our duck EGGS!  Yup, they're still just eggs!

                                        
A little "craft"ivity that we did this week while working on prefixes.  I am in love with this spring weather so we did some Prefix Pots!  

Well, there ya have it--a little summary of our crazy week!  Hopefully I'll have some good duck news over the weekend!  Gavin and I are off to Fort Dodge for a wedding.  It is also his birthday tomorrow so give a shout out to him for being old! :-) Still love him although he is awfully close to rounding 30!

More importantly, consider donating a book to "Books for Charley"!!  I would love to get to donate a load of books to surrounding hospitals and give a sick little kiddo a reason to smile!!


No comments:

Post a Comment