Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Quick Update!

I don't exactly have Earth shattering news but it's exciting nonetheless.  Our duck eggs are a'rockin!  While this could last a couple of days before they hatch, it means we are getting close and that they haven't died in their shells.  (I was getting a little nervous to say the least.)

I haven't been able to get a kid actually see it because they can't stand there and be patient without bumping the incubator and practically screaming that they haven't seen anything.  Patience is a virtue and it's very limited in first grade!

I could stand and look in the little windows all day.  The first time that I saw one move I had a huge adrenaline rush.  Dork, I know but I was so excited!

I'm still slightly nervous because everything I read about duck eggs is that they are hard to hatch. Eeekkk.  Sounds like they often require help, which is a no-no in the world of hatching as it can cause the animal to bleed to death.  I have also read that it can take up to 18 hours for them to hatch or that they can dry out and die before they get out of their shell.  Do a little extra praying for my ducks please that they make it out on their own!  Last thing I want to do is explain to my first graders why they are all dying on us!


No comments:

Post a Comment