Thursday, May 9, 2013

Books for Charley

Over the past couple of years, I have religiously followed a blog of a "heart family" that lost their little girl, Charlotte, to a congenital heart defect just like my sister, Taylor's.  I often find myself crying, overflowing with joy, grieving, and praying alongside this family.  It is my own way to deal with losing my sister so many years ago.  I have never met this family and hadn't ever even made contact with Kristen, Charlotte's mom--who blogs--until just last week.  My email started will calling myself a blog creeper and to say the least I felt a little awkward about how much I knew about her family yet she didn't have clue to who I was.  My heart breaks for Matt and Kristen for what they have gone through and breaks a little more knowing my parents went through this same thing.

Books for Charley was started a year after Charlotte gained her angel wings in an attempt to give back to all of the people that were placed in their lives and also to give kids like Charlotte something to have while in the hospital for whatever reason.  As a teacher, I have a passion for books and love the whole idea behind this.  Because I love books and also because this hits so close to home, I want to give back.  I contacted Kristen and let her know I would love to help and be a part of the book drive!


So here's the scoop! 
 I am asking for your help and donation of NEW children's books or money to go towards books!  All of the books that I collect will either be donated to our local hospitals for children or sent to Kristen to be donated to a hospital in need.  Each book will be labeled with a "Books for Charley" sticker.  The only thing Kristen asks is that the books be new as used books can hold lots of germs that sick little kids don't need.

How to donate you ask?  
The drive lasts the month of May!  I will have donation boxes at both the high school and elementary in Sumner starting on Monday until the end of the school year.  I can also meet you to pick them up or you can drop them off at my house.  I am also hoping to get a box placed at the State Bank and Trust South office (new one heading out of Waverly) where my mom works.  If we need to make other arrangements, just let me know!  I would love to be able to donate as many books as possible.

Contact Me!
Shoot me an email at kylie.rottink@gmail.com with any questions or details about a drop-off!

Thank you in advance!


No comments:

Post a Comment