Monday, April 22, 2013

Happy Birthday to Our Angel!

Happy Birthday to You
Happy Birthday to You
Happy Birthday dear Taylor Lynn
Happy Birthday to You!!!

While some of you may know, I am sure some of you don't!  Kolton and I have a sister that was born between us.  Today would mark her 21st birthday!  Taylor was born with Hypoplastic Left Heart Syndrome.  In a nut shell, she was born with just a little more than half of her heart.  To top it off, she also had Situs Inversus, meaning some of her organs were backwards.  I also was born with this except for all of my organs are backwards so I have no problems with it.  She was also born with 9 spleens.  We normally are born with 1.  My parents learned of most of this when my mom was 20 weeks pregnant and visited Mayo clinic regularly for the remainder of her pregnancy.  They knew she would have an uphill battle to fight but were ready to face it.

At just two days old, Taylor underwent her first of three surgeries in the Norwood Process.  These three surgeries were supposed to fix her heart and help here live a normal life.  In 1992, there was a 70% chance that babies would survive this surgery.  My little sister went into surgery and never came off of the Heart-Lung machine.  On April 24th, 1992,  Taylor earned her angel wings.

Twenty-one years later, the odds are much better for children to survive with Hypoplastic Left Heart Syndrome thanks to a lot of research.  I follow many heart blogs that share success stories and also the pain of losing a child to HPLS.  It's heart wrenching and exciting all at the same time to see the paths these families have taken.  I pray for many of the families regularly, that surgeries go well, that they can find peace that their child is now pain free, and for the kiddos' hearts to keep on a ticking.

The jealous part of me wishes I could have grown up with her but in reality, I know that she has been with me every step of the way and that I have my very own guardian angel.  I know she is there to listen and watch over me.  Either way, it doesn't make it less hard or emotional.  This is a rough one to say the least!

Happy Birthday, Taylor!  I wish we could enjoy a drink together and celebrate your 21st birthday!  I am sure you are having one heck of a party up in Heaven!!  Party on little miss!  I love you and miss you to pieces!

No comments:

Post a Comment