Wednesday, March 27, 2013

An Eggcellent Time to Review!

Where has March possibly gone!  It has flown by and now that April is just around the corner, this means we only have TWO months left of school.  It doesn't seem possible!

We wrapped up our President's Unit and did a little craftivity.  They had to choose either Abraham Lincoln or George Washington, create him, and then do a writing portion.  They then had to share out their three facts (that were written in complete sentences!)....this is an ongoing battle!

George Washington at his finest!

We have spent the past month or so working on spelling combinations of our vowel sounds!  These are tricky since our English language only follows the rules some of the time!  I bought an amazing Long E  Unit from thefirstgradeparade.blogspot.com.  She is simply amazing and I wish I could find a way in my salary to buy all of her stuff!  Here is a little look at my munchkins working in their Literacy Tubs!

Making words with long e endings!

Sorting Real words and Nonsense words!

Spin, it, Flip it, & Write it!  This was an all time favorite!

This unit was simply amazing!  It even came with stories for each long e that was linked to a kiddos name!  My kids loved it!

We have since moved into our Nutrition Unit--one that I am passionate about.  Yes, I bribe my loveys with candy and yes I bribe them with mini marshmallows to get their snow clothes off quickly but I do talk regularly about the need to be healthy.  I go to PE with them and show some of them it is okay to get sweaty!  Nothing bad about a hot sweaty mess. :-)  I think this is something that they are not yet comfortable with!  ...and I'll step off my soap box :-)  We are exploring the new and improved Food Pyramid and discussing healthy food choices!  We also got the ever-so-exciting opportunity to make and bake bread with our school cooks.  Have I ever mentioned that our cooks make homemade bread EVERY morning and it is just coming out of the oven when I get to school in the morning!?  My mouth is instantly watering and I normally take a lap to the kitchen and back just to enjoy the aroma!  Each 1st grade kiddo got a ball of dough after helping mix all of the ingredients and got to make any shape they wanted!

They had a blast and we even got to enjoy it later on in the day!

This week, we are working on comparing and contrasting & adjectives!  Why not tie it into some fun Easter eggs?!  I created a life size Venn diagram and we used adjectives to describe the two eggs!  They then got to create their own and show me they could use adjectives that compare!


I'll get some pictures up of their eggs and some of our Easter Literacy and Math tubs later on this week!  But for now, I need to get prepped for the day!  Have a great day and travel safe if you are heading out to spend some quality time with family this weekend!

Happy Easter if I do not get back on here before!  God is good!

~Toodles!







No comments:

Post a Comment